Back at Fuda

Wednesday, June 29, 2011
We arrived at Fuda last night. We were with another lung cancer patient who was also fetched by the hospital’s ambulance from the airport. We had a little chit chat and learned that their room was on the 3rd floor. By the way, we’re still on the 6th.

Dad with Mr. Tom

This morning Dad and I finally met our roommates, Mr. Benito Lim and his wife Mary Lim. They’re nice people. They were already sleeping when we came in last night. Like Dad, he also has lung cancer, but his condition has improved a lot since they were here six months ago. They’ll be leaving tomorrow and we’ll have the room all to ourselves. Woohoo!

Dad with Mr. Benito Lim

Anyway, Dad and I were so happy to see our old friends here. Glecie is back for another nano chemo session, and we were able to see Aunt Jo and her husband Wilson before they leave tomorrow. Glecie’s tumor in her colon is completely gone! God is good!

L-R: Josephine So, Wilson So, Dad, Benito Lim and Mary Lim

Later in the afternoon, Dad and Uncle Benito had an acupuncture session together. It was recommended by our friend, Glecie. Surprisingly, Dad was able to walk better after the treatment. It just took 45 minutes.

Dr. Yu inserting needles in Dad's arm

Uncle Benito with needles in his face

I, on the other hand, had a traditional Chinese therapeutic dry massage that put emphasis on pressure points, done by no less than the best, Dr. Yu. My back was aching the night we arrived at Fuda.

Me!

Then, Dr. Yu performed Ventosa on my back to ease my back ache. Ventosa is a massage cupping therapy which uses glasses placed on specific accupoints on your back. This is a technique used to create a vacuum inside the glass which lifts the skin, sucking the air away. By the way, Dr. Yu used bamboo instead of the usual glass.

Let me tell you how I ended up getting a Ventosa. To begin with, I’m scared of getting one, so I never had it back in the Philippines. After Dr. Yu gave me the massage, she said something which I didn’t understand. I knew she said she’ll do something on my back, and I was pretty sure it wasn’t acupuncture because had she said that, I'd say no. So, I was just lying there feeling so comfortable when she came back in and started putting the bamboo cups on my back. I was shocked, but she was so fast that before my senses could tell me it was Ventosa, she’s done putting all those bamboo cups on my back. My mind was telling me, “Tell her to remove them now! It’s painful!”, but really, it wasn’t. It wasn’t painful at all. In fact, I felt great after. Never mind the marks it left. Dr. Yu said they will disappear in a week's time.

Now, this isn't going to be pretty, but here's my back after my Ventosa treatment.

My back

It was a pretty good day today. Thank you, Lord.


Our bill yesterday and today: ¥3,410.31 and ¥353.12, respectively. ($582.13 total)
Total bill as of today: ¥161,521.94 ($24,983.87)


8 comments:

Sara G said...

Wow I've never heard of Ventosa before. My husband said he had heard of it before. I'm keep you and your dad in my thoughts and prayers. Glad you made it safely and may your time there be as relaxing. God bless you!! Many hugs!

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

Hi Pia!
My MIL will also go back I think next week. But no room is available as of now. Her blood works look good so she is good to go.
xoxo
MrsM

Alleluiabelle said...

Sweet Pia,

I'm praying for your beloved daddy and you on this this late night. May He cover you with His divine grace, mercy, peace, comfort, healing and so very much more in Jesus precious name I pray. Amen.

Love you,
{{{Alleluiabelle}}}

France Go said...

I tried the Ventosa and I loved it, not the marks though. Great to hear you guys are enjoying your stay before the session. Keep us posted.

Prairiemaid said...

Hi Pia,

Just checking on you and your dad. Glad you had a safe trip. I had never heard of Ventosa. Sounds interesting though. How long do they leave the cups on?

Sounds like you are among some very caring people.

Blessings,
Cheryl

Pia said...

sara: you should try it. never mind the marks, they will disappear in a few days.

michelle: the hospital is packed! now, there are a lot of people from middle east. they're assigned on the 6th and 7th floor.

allue: thank you very much, allue. (((HUGS)))

france: call us later. texted you the number here in the hospital.

cheryl: you should try ventosa. just make sure the person doing it really knows how. they left the cups on my back for only 10 minutes.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Looks like the ventosa treatment worked wonders on you. It's amazing that it was painless since I know that it is quite painful. That doctor must have a better ventosa treatment that was not painful at all. I was wondering why you and your father have to go back to China again. I guess I missed your previous posts on this. Thanks for the post. God bless you all always.

Bluebirdy said...

Disregard my earlier question about finding some friends there. Now I see you did. I have seen many people who got "Ventosa". Here its called "cupping" but I have never seen such intense bruising suck marks (we call them hickeys)on anyone. THat will take a long time to go away.
Bless you sis.
Sheila

Blog Widget by LinkWithin