Forgiveness

Monday, August 29, 2005
In the book I'm reading now, there's this topic about forgiveness and I thought why not write something about it. It's the one thing I've had a really hard time dealing with. It has been my perennial struggle even when I took my christianity seriously. Forgiveness was a far out thought for me. I just couldn't put two and two together like having to forgive someone who's not even asking for your forgiveness. Why would I have to forgive somebody who did me wrong and whom I despise so much? It just doesn't make sense.

Little did I know that forgiveness is not really given to free the other person from a grudge (well, that's part of it), but moreover, it's for my own healing! I've learned that forgiveness is a choice and a decision you make. That you can't wait for yourself to feel like forgiving because it's not going to happen ever. Our nature is to seek revenge, not to forgive. During one of our church's activities which is being done yearly (you only need to attend once), there was this session where I have to forgive those I have an animosity with. I have to renounce all bitterness that I hold in my heart. I became stiff. I just couldn't do it. No way! Thank God for Tess, my cell leader, who was so patient with me. She helped me face my "monster". I was sweating. I was jittery. I thought I heard voices telling me not to do it. But when I finally was able to release all of them, whose names were written on my little note pad, I felt calmness around me.

Well, that was just the beginning. It's God's grace that I am freed from it daily.

"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." Matthew 6:14-15


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also struggle with forgiveness. But I have learned that forgiveness is more for yourself than the person you are forgiving. I know when I'm harboring unforgiveness I'm also harboring bitterness, neither are good. I just try and remind myself that God expects me to forgive as He has forgiven me. I have a tape series by Joyce Meyer called Bitterness and Unforgiveness. In that series she talks about how just because you forgive someone doesn't mean you have to have a relationship with them. That was very freeing for me.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Forgiveness is ALL about freeing yourself from the bondage it hold you in.

Good post!

Anonymous said...

Good post! It encouraged me. It took a lot of love and faith to forgive those that hurt you. But that is what it is all about:-)

Forgiveness is hard to do. Our nature wants revenge and it is so tempting. These scriptures was striking to me when I read them, but they say it all:-)

Romans 12:20
Therefore“ If your enemy is hungry, feed him;If he is thirsty, give him a drink;For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”

Romans 12:19
Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.

God's Grace.

Anonymous said...

When I think about how much Christ had to forgive me of and what He had to go through to do it, it makes it a little easier to understand why I should forgive others.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin