Rudeness... How Do You Handle It?

Thursday, August 18, 2005
A friend called me yesterday, just about the time I finished posting. She said that someone wants to talk to me. "Mark?" I asked. (A common friend whom we haven't seen for a long time now) "Nope, she's...blah, blah, blah" Ok, I think I know who she is. Let's call her A. A was a college friend. We used to hang out a lot during those days. After graduation we went on our separate ways but would still see each other once in awhile with our other girl friends. After getting married, we saw each other less and less until we lost touch completely.

She greeted me with a hi and hello and an insensitive remark which annoyed me. It could be a joke (a sick one!), maybe she's just trying to be funny, but I felt really offended. I thought that she should have known better since according to her, she just had a miscarriage last month. I don't see why blurting out a tactless comment about losing my two boys should be amusing at all. You think she halted after that? Nope! She went on saying "Do you even pray?" That's it!!! She pressed all the wrong buttons this time!

Do I even pray??? I bet she prayed her heart out during that time when her doctor announced that dreaded news about her baby. Did she get her answer WHY it happened? Does that mean she didn't pray enough? My DH and I together with a whole bunch of others have been praying for a safe pregnancy. Matt died. Does that mean we didn't pray enough? God knows all the answers, I don't. I grieved with the death of my two boys. And I certainly won't tolerate anyone making fun of my loss!

I could have easily snapped back at her but I cried out to God instead. I prayed for strength and wisdom. I called up a friend from church to pray for me. My DH was fuming mad when he learned about what happened.

How am I now? I have God's peace and promise with me. And I'm not just about to let go of that.


"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you got hurt. What I found out was, that mostly people are rude or intend to hurt someone because of jealousy. You have something they don't. Maybe she envied your strenght? Just guessing here, but you get the picture? We should have compassion and pray God will have mercy on them.
I pray you are ok Pia and God gave you what you needed to overcome this:-)

God's Grace.

Anonymous said...

The tongue...a terrible wounding sword at times! How sad I am for you that such insensitivity about something so deeply personal and tragic would be made light of. God holds us when we're hurting and I know from my own painful journey that you are tightly in His grasp. May you continue to feel His arms about you, just as His arms are now encircling your little darlings. Hugs, Becky

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for the loss of your boys.

I have to wonder...sometimes people will say mean things to hurt others because they want them to feel as bad as they themselves do. Maybe she is really hurting, and she thought you sounded like you weren't hurting and wanted you to hurt like she did.

I know that you did hurt...and more than likely still do hurt. You are right though, God has the answers to the "why" questions, and we might not ever know what they are.

It sounds to me like this woman really needs prayers herself. Please don't let what she said bother you too much. I agree that it was very insensitive of her, and there was no reason to say the things she did. Give this to the Lord and ask Him to work in her life.

Anonymous said...

I think you handled it just the way God would have had you handle it. It's unfortunate that people want to kick you when you're down... praying for her is definitely not the response she would be expecting or probably even wanting... even though that's the best thing for her ;)
(((Hugs))),
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Pia, my heart goes out to you. I believe God is smiling right now and is poking His elbow in Satan's stomach saying, "Did you see that? Look at my precious child, Pia. She did well!"

Blog Widget by LinkWithin