Weight Gain Struggles

Wednesday, October 10, 2012
All my life I was often referred to as too thin. Honestly, I didn't mind. I got so used to hearing that a lot that I fully accepted the fact that I'm thin and I'll always be that... Thin. I didn't suffer from a poor self image growing up. I liked myself the way I was and I felt like probably gaining a little bit of weight won't hurt. Somehow, I had a little bit of allowance or space for myself to adjust weight freely as I desired.

Fast forward... Unfortunately, I had an SLE episode which I thought was non-existent until I got really sick. For months I didn't know what's going on with me. I've been experiencing depression, memory loss, mood swings that have gone whack, hair loss, anxiety attack, skin rashes, irritability, fever that wouldn't go away.

Let us first define what SLE is for those (at least on my side of the fence) who don't know that such a traitor exists and is beginning to wave it's banner quite a lot in this day and age.
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), or lupus, is an autoimmune disease in which a person's immune system attacks various organs or cells of the body, causing damage and dysfunction. Lupus is called a multi system disease because it can affect many different tissues and organs in the body. Some patients with lupus have very mild disease, which can be treated with simple medications, whereas others can have serious, life-threatening complications. Lupus is more common in women than men, and for reasons that are not precisely understood, its peak incidence is after puberty.
While lupus is a chronic illness, it is characterized by periods when the disease activity is minimal or absent (remission) and when it is active (relapse or flare). The outlook (prognosis) for patients with lupus today is much better than years ago because of greater awareness and more accurate tests leading to earlier diagnosis and treatment as well as more effective and safer medications.
Since I'm taking steroids to control the flare up, I gained a lot of weight. I gained so much weight that most of my clothes don't fit me anymore. It does give me an excuse to go shopping though. I know it's just temporary and when I'm up and about, I'd lose all these unwanted pounds and go back to living a normal life.

  2011 & 2012

In the meantime, I just have to get used to this.  Another downside to this sickness is that my feet and palms hurt from time to time.  My feet used to be size 6.  Now they're size 8.  They grew bigger because of the steroids.  And because I feel pain and discomfort, I now walk like a penguin.  I also have to wear a mask when I'm out.  I have to use sunscreen all the time.  These changes are essential and with God's grace, I'm beginning to get used to it.  

Having this sickness is very hard, but even if the doctors said that treatment will be lifetime, I've decided to listen to what God says.  Fact is I'm sick.  Truth is I'm healed.  Which report will I believe?  Well, I decided to listen to God's truth. Healing is mine.

As I've always said, my life is in God's hands and not my will but His will be done. 






10 comments:

Rachel said...

I know that you are going through a lot these days. Most people in your situation will simply sink into depression, forgetting that they can always call on God to heal them.

I know that miracles happen. I believe that God makes them happen and that He grants these miracles to those who are faithful.

Seeing your faith in God... putting your life in His hands, I believe that He will grant your every prayer.

I will stand in prayer with you for your complete healing. I also pray that God keeps you safe in the palm of His hands. Always. =)

Corry said...

Hey girl,
There is no better place then in God's hands!

We are praying for a full and quick recovery and have faith that God's love and comfort, along with all His other many blessings, are poured out on you.

Love you! (((HUGS))))
God's Grace.

Pia said...

Rachel: Thank you for praying for me. I am truly blessed for having true friends like you.

Mamu: i love you, mamu and papu!

Angela said...

Hey beautiful sister!! My girlfriend was walking like a penguin for quite awhile because of the pain she was experiencing.My mother is on medication that has caused her to gain quite a bit of weight.It seems like my 'inner circle', these ladies that the Lord has surrounded me with are all experiencing a JOB time, myself included..I love what your wrote Pia

Well, I decided to listen to God's truth. Healing is mine.
As I've always said, my life is in God's hands and not my will but His will be done.

amen amen amen

Unknown said...

They are running tests on my mom to rule out Lupus, but so far their diagnosis is indeed, lupus. It has affected her heart and lungs as well as many joints. Thank you for the information. My thoughts and prayers are with you gentle friend.

Rocks said...

Oh yes you are healed!! by the stripes of the LORD :D

I suddenly remember the song " I am the Lord, that healeth thee"...

Karen said...

Pia, I am going to share the word my cousin was given when she was diagnosed with Lupus...

"His blood covers all blood"

Hallelujah!

The Phenomenal Mama said...

Hi Pia!

Hope you feel better already! I visited your blog when you posted about Millicent's milk delivery, and continue to read about your sickness...

Continue to trust in the Lord!

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

Hi Pia

I hope you are feeling ok right now. I am sending you a lot of hugs, ok!

xoxo
MrsMartinez

Denise said...

Sweet Pia, I truly admire you, and your faith. I believe with all of my heart that God will totally heal you. Please do not stress over the weight gain. You are beautiful, weight is just a number. I love you very much. Always praying for you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin