Day 9: Ohhh... The Pain!!!

Monday, May 16, 2011
Dad was in pain today. Instead of having the chemo infusion pass through the vein in his hand or arm, the doctor decided to put a catheter in his shoulder. He said that it was better to let it pass through there than the vein in his hand because the chemicals in the infusion might cause the vein to lose its elasticity. 

Dr. Chen inserting the catheter

However, when they tried to put a line in his shoulder, the doctors saw a backflow of blood in the tube. Since Dad's tumor was in his chest, they said that the blood pressure in that area was stronger than usual. This was why he bled when they attempted to insert the line in his shoulder.  So, they tried to insert the line in his hand. That didn't work either because the veins they used before on both hands collapsed and were no longer suitable. They finally succeeded in finding a good vein at the side of his wrist.  With all those attempts, it's really no wonder why Dad was in pain.

Tomorrow will be Dad's last infusion. He can then get some rest to regain his strength for his next CNB session scheduled on June 4.

Anyway, this afternoon, I had a very frustrating experience.... again. Imagine this: my Dad asked me to buy him a few things: fried chicken from KFC, and some grapes and bananas. Sounds simple, right? Well, not if you and the one selling it don't speak the same language.  I somehow forgot the way to KFC, so I decided to ask someone for directions.  I approached a friendly-looking lady and asked her, "Do you know where KFC is?"   You know what she did?  She acted as if I wasn't even there! She completely ignored me! Geez!  I didn't know what was going on inside her head, but I knew that my blood pressure was beginning to rise... Arghhhhhh! (Pia, count to ten.... count to ten... good girl.... don't rip her head off. =D)

The frustration was simply agonizing!!! To cut a long story short, we went through the same thing at the market when we're buying fruits...  

It's either they learn English or I learn Mandarin.  Of course, there's plan C...  I just forgot to bring it with me today.  Hehe...

I just checked on Dad a few minutes ago. He's sleeping soundly. I guess the pain's gone.



Our bill for today: ¥1,141.81 ($174.81).
Total bill as of today: ¥111,536.64 ($17,111.59)




2 comments:

Angela said...

Hey sweet sis..just wanted to stop by..((Hugs)))

Anonymous said...

there's a backflow of blood bec they wrongy inserted it in an artery instead of vein. their reason that it's bec of the stronger blood pressure bec of the tumor was simply outrageous. geez, the alibi some doctors would use.
anyway, i enjoyed reading your adventures (or misadventures?) hehe
regards to kuya bobby

Blog Widget by LinkWithin