Day 3: PET Scan Results Encouraging. Next: Biopsy

Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Dad was making too much noise early this morning. He even turned the lights on. Obviously, he wanted me to get up already. It was 7 a.m. The truth was I really wasn't ready to get up yet. I didn’t want to get into an argument so I just kept quiet, but Dad knew I got up on the wrong side of the bed. I went out and heated some Chinese-style bread buns and went back to sleep.

Chuck, my youngest brother, called through Skype. We talked for a while until Dr. Xueliang Wang, a doctor who practices traditional Chinese medicine, came in and checked on Dad. He interviewed Dad while Chuck and I listened. After that, our friends Loren and her husband, Rishi, came in and asked Dad how he was. They were the ones helping us around here. They told Dad and I that we had to register our passports and get temporary residence permits because police officers often visit the hospital  to check on any over staying aliens.
Dad with Rishi and Loren
Anyway, Dr. Zhixian Chen came in and discussed with us what came out of the PET scan. It was good that the tumor didn’t metastasize. Dr Chen said that Dad needed to undergo a biopsy this afternoon.
Dr. Chen explaining to Dad about the biopsy procedure.
Dad with Dr. Zhixian Chen
It’s 4 pm now. The nurses came to prepare Dad for the biopsy.
Dad with the nurses.
L-R: Joy, Nikki, Dad, and Nancy
IV insertion
Dr. Bing Liang briefing Dad
We went to the ground floor for the procedure.
Dad inside the CT scan room
I was told that the procedure will be done in 30 minutes to an hour. For two hours, I waited in the lobby for Dad. Since it was taking too long, I had to ask someone what was happening. I approached a nurse and asked her where Dad was and why it was taking so long to finish the procedure.

She told me that the procedure was already finished and that they brought Dad to the ICU (ICU??? What???!!! Why???!!!) for monitoring (Ahhh.... ok. I'm cool... I'm cool.). Sheesh… I thought something went wrong.(Can you imagine what my pulse rate was?!)

Thank God for our next-door neighbors. They are a big help.

Anyway, Dad is safe. Just resting.

Our bill for today: ¥283.00 ($43.43).
Total bill as of today: ¥12,528.68 ($1,928.81).


4 comments:

Amrita said...

Dear Pia , I can imagine the stressful and anxious moments you are going through an d yet you are providing such a detailed photographic report to your friends here. You are very brave and well organized too.

Praise God for a good report.

Rishi is an Indian name - is your friend Indian?

Alleluiabelle said...

Sweet Pia,

I've been following your updates. I thank the Lord for good PET scan results.

You are a strong woman Pia and a beautiful presence there in helping your dad through all of this.

I pray for much peace and yes...even JOY through all of this. But most of all...I pray for divine intervention in all ways for your dad's healing, for you and your dad's time there. I can only imagine how exhausting it is for all of you.

Know that you all are in my prayers daily sweet woman.

Love you,
Alleluiabelle

Drea said...

Im so behind on your blog pia :( sorry.
Im sorry to hear abt your dads battle with cancer...

Im curious, how come you went to china for the medical treatment? was it cost related?

$43 for what he got in this post is unreal, to get that done in the states would of been 1,000's of dollars... even with insurance.. its crazy!

Slamdunk said...

Glad to hear about your dad's procedure being done, and you and your family are in my prayers.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin