Kayaking Adventure-Day 1

Sunday, October 10, 2010
Monday, October 4, 2010, Manila Airport
From L to R: May, Shirleen, Darwin, me, Anton, Cymbee & Christine
Tuguegarao Airport
We arrived at Tuguegarao at around 9:20 a.m via Air Philippines. We were fetched at the airport by Anton Carag, our notable host, and went straight to Casa Carag for a sumptuous breakfast.

Breakfast at Casa Carag
From L to R: Me, Darwin, Anton Carag, Shirleen, Anton, May & Cymbee

It was my first time in Tuguegarao and one thing I noticed, the sun seem to shine the hardest on this part of the Philippines.  Can't live without my sunscreen!
Jeepney ride to PeƱablanca
We unpacked and changed to our swimwear, ready for our kayak adventure. We rode a private jeepney for a 30 minute trip to PeƱablanca.  We had kayaking basics by Argel Gerale at the Pinacanauan (meaning "left-most") River, a tributary of the great Cagayan River in Cagayan Valley.

Before boarding a motor boat to Pinacanauan River
On our way to Pinacanauan River
With May
...And Cymbee
Among us, there were three who were first timers --- Cymbee, Shirleen and me.  The water was really deep and we were terrified at first. And although we were wearing life jackets, I can't seem to trust the jacket to make me stay afloat.  Well... it took me only about 5 minutes though to get used to the water. After which, I was already having a great time.
Love the water!
Argel teaching us the basics of kayaking
Learning what to do when I fall off the kayak.
Not easy!
After the kayaking basics, we had barbecue lunch by the river.


By the way, I had to re-apply sunscreen every time I had the chance to and this time was one of them.  Ha!

We rode a motorized banca (boat) upstream, warm up a little to get ready to run our own kayaks down river to Callao.  

Ready!!!
Our kayaking adventure began.

Practicing...
Here I go...
Taking a break...
Argel showed us a baby crab.
Getting ready again...
Made it to the finish line.  Yey!
I was removing sand from my aqua shoes... hehe.
After over three hours of kayaking, we packed our stuff, rode the motorized banca once again to watch the circadian flight of bats.

See that hole on the right? That's where the bats were.

We waited till about 6 p.m. and there they were, millions of bats (yes, millions) coming out the cave. 15 minutes non stop! Stinky smell of bat droppings (guano) was all over the place.

See those trails?  Those were bats.
After about 20 minutes, we headed back to Casa Carag.  We were all tired and I can't wait to take a shower.



My muscles felt sore from hours of paddling.  Had a massage after a late dinner and headed off to slumberland.  Zzz...

White Water Rafting Adventure-Day 2


6 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

First of all, I was so excited to read your post and see you smiling and having a fun time Pia! Wow; it certainly looked like a blast. You were so brave; love it. I've not been kayaking but it's on my to-do list now. What beautiful scenery and fun with friends.

God bless you Pia.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Looks & sounds like a fun day! The place also looks beautiful. Glad to know you had a great day my friend!

jhunnelle said...

I stayed in Tug. for almost 4 years when i was studying but i never had the chance to visit penablanca, hopefully I can visit the place some other time. The place is beautiful.

Blessings!

Amrita said...

Super day of fun and adventure. What a splash. I love times like these. And when I was able had times like these. Have fun

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed this post.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Wow, what a great kayaking adventure. Since that was your first time in that adventure, the thrill was mixed with fear at the start. Anyway, you were in capable hands with your kayak guide. Wonderful experience indeed. Thanks for the post. God bless you all always.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin