The Prayer Of Petition

Monday, May 25, 2009
I felt so loved by the messages you, my dear friends, left on my recent Thankful Thursday and Fearless Friday posts. Although my heart is crushed for what's happening in my marriage, my hope is still in the Lord. Yes, I have fears and worries. Who doesn't? But in spite of the pain, I'm choosing to trust His ways and His timing. It's not easy to live up to that, but with God's grace I know I can.

I want to share with you what I've learned last Friday about prayer from Jerry Savelle Ministries. It's so powerful. Here are my notes:
"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints." Ephesians 6:18
Note that Prayer is not designed to change God. It's designed to change circumstances. God doesn't need changing. God is not the problem.

There are three major weapons we have access to when we pray:
  1. The Name of Jesus
  2. The Word of God
  3. The Holy Spirit
There are three divisions of prayer:
  1. Prayer that changes things.
  2. Prayer of thanksgiving and praise.
  3. Prayer of dedication and worship.
The Prayer of Dedication is where we utter the words, "if it be thy will." Let's say you're sick, you don't pray, "Lord, if it be thy will, please heal me." We already know that it is God's will to heal us. It is written in Isaiah 53:5, "He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." It's done. Let's say you don't know whether you should stay or go on mission, you then use the prayer of dedication and say, "Lord, if it be thy will, send me to that country." You're dedicating your plans to Him and of course as you dedicate, worship Him. Here you don't know the known will of God in that situation.

The Prayer of Thanksgiving is thanking God in advance for what He's about to do. That's our expression of faith, that even we haven't gotten hold yet of the answer, we are already thanking and praising Him for it.

The Prayer that changes things or also called the Prayer of Petition is a prayer prayed in faith. It is a prayer that refuses to be moved by what it sees. It is a prayer that will not allow negative circumstances to dictate whether or not you believe that prayer will come to pass. It is a prayer that changes the impossible to possible.

The question is how desperate are you for a breakthrough? No matter how impossible it is your facing now, don't give up! Don't lose heart! Why give up when you can pray?

What is a petition? It is a formal request. It is a formal request addressed to a person in authority asking for some grant or benefit. It is a formal application in writing.

How does a prayer of petition work?
  1. Write down your prayer request. Yes, write it down like a formal contract.
  2. Allow God's Word to be the final authority. Look for scriptures in the Bible that speaks about your situation or need. Quote them.
  3. Present back to God what He already said.
The Prayer of Petition is so powerful because it is based on the will of God. We don't go around the bush wondering whether or not God will grant us our request. We know He will because we are praying according to His will.

This is not a magical formula like a name it-claim it thing. We are simply presenting to God our prayer requests, especially when what we're asking seem to not jive with what we can see in the natural. Remember, nothing is impossible with our God. He will make a way where there seem to be no way. Try God.

Here's a sample of a Prayer of Petition by Pastor Jerry Savelle.


11 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for this post sweetie, so awesome.

Beth in NC said...

God bless you Pia.

Melissa said...

I like this post, Pia, because it's like an instruction manual for those who are unsure about how to pray.

I was led, over the weekend, to pray again for you and your husband. As you know, God is faithful to hear our prayers, and He will never leave us. Keep trusting in Him.

Hugs to you!

Carla said...

Dear Pia, I'm sorry life if kicking you. Kudos to you for knowing where your safety is. God bless you in your desires, may you see the path he has laid for you:)

I so love this "Note that Prayer is not designed to change God. It's designed to change circumstances. God doesn't need changing. God is not the problem." I think too often us humans (me especially) forget that when the troubles come.

Again, God bless you Pia!!

Anonymous said...

You, your husband, and your marriage are being prayed for, Pia. ~ linda

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

What an inspired and informative post this is. It summarizes in simple terms the different forms of prayers. I believe you have acquired that higher level of spiritual development because of the trials you have encountered in your life. I join you in your personal prayers and say Amen to that. We pray for the realization of all the secret desires in Pia's heart heavenly Father, in Jesus name, through the power of the Holy Spirit, one God forever. Amen. Thanks for this most inspiring post. God bless you always.

Pia said...

denise: thanks for being a mighty prayer warrior. God bless you always.

Beth: thank you, beth. God bless you too.

melissa: thank you for praying. i know our prayers are not in vain. He heard us and He's at work already. God bless you.

carla: we all go through that. a lot of times in the past i blamed God for what has happened to me. i always blame Him and get mad at Him. it boggled my mind why He, with His power, would allow bad things to happen to me. i thank God that now i know better. God is not the problem. He is the solution to our problem. God bless you, carla.

linda: thank you so much, linda. i know it's working. i know God is already at work behind the scenes. God bless you.

mel: bro, thank you for standing with me in prayer and agreement. you know the desires of my heart and i know you'd want to see them fulfilled. bro, God bless you.

Melissa said...

Hi Pia! Thanks for stopping by my blog. The giveaway is open to everyone--US and international. I hope you'll come back to enter! :)

Grammy said...

Hi Pia, sorry it took this long for me to get to your post. I am feeling better today. My prayers are always with you. I wish I could say more but we have to trust it is gods will. You were meant to have a glorious life. You so deserve one. I do not know your marriage issue. But is it possible. You were meant to be with some one else. I mean no offense. And do not wish to cause you harm with this question. As I have spent a life time in the wrong marriage. And I will keep my bond to the end. As I made it in church. But if he wanted out I would gladly give him his wish.

Pia said...

melissa: great! i'm glad i can join.

grammy: i'm not offended, don't worry. i think there is no marriage that's wrong if a spouse would fight for it in prayer. we serve a God who is willing and able to change a person and circumstance. nothing is impossible with Him. and i believe that when we pray for our spouse, God will honor that. there is hope when one spouse chooses to trust God and not give up. everything is possible to those who believe.

Debbie Petras said...

Pia, I so agree with you that God can change a person. What has helped me in my marriage is to spend time each day before the Lord so He can fill me to overflowing with His Spirit. I feel so loved by my Heavenly Father. It takes so much pressure off my hubby and other loved ones. What they give is simply wonderful, but I am not dependent on it since I have God's love working in and through me. And as God works on my heart the fruit of His Spirit is evident to my husband. And so he loves my patience, love, kindness, etc. Let God love your husband through you.

I don't know your personal situation so I'm just sharing what has helped me. I will be praying for you and your husband.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin