The Truth

Thursday, December 1, 2005
I have a friend in the office who approached me this morning and asked if I know that God's name is Jehovah. I was a bit surprised but it got me thinking. I know the name Jehovah. I also know the name Yaweh. I know that God is called a lot of different names but I simply refer to Him as God. I was curious. So I also started asking him questions. Oh, by the way, he's a Jehovah's Witness, thus came the question about the name Jehovah.

"I don't seem to know the difference between your beliefs and ours." I said. "Do you believe that Jesus Christ is Lord?"

"Yes."

"Do you believe that God Almighty and Jesus is one?"

"No. We don't believe in the Trinity. We believe in God as the highest supreme being. He is God."

"And Jesus?" I asked.

"He's Lord. Next to God, but they're not one. Nowhere in the Bible can you find the word Trinity. You see, we base everything we believe in the Bible"

Hmm... True, but so is the word Bible. You can't find the word "Bible" in the Bible. Now, I'm beginning to feel that I should have paid more attention to my Bible class. I couldn't even pick the right verses to back up my claim.

"Okay, so what else is the difference?" I asked. "Do you believe in heaven and hell?"

"There's no heaven. We call it paradise. And that is where we are now, on Earth. There's no hell either."

"You mean to say that we're already in paradise? Then where do we go after we die? Those who are not saved, where would they go?"

"Those judged righteous will be given everlasting life on a paradise earth. Those judged unrighteous will not be tormented, but will die and cease to exist."

"Do you believe in the second coming?" I asked.

"The second coming has already happened."

Ok. So now I'm beginning to see the BIG difference here.

I believe that there is one eternal, almighty, and perfect God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I found this article during a research I did and it says:

The Trinity consists of three Persons. In the passages in the Old Testament, a knowledge of Hebrew is helpful. In Genesis 1:1, the plural noun "Elohim" is used. In Genesis 1:26; 3:22; 11:7 and Isaiah 6:8, the plural pronoun for "us" is used. That "Elohim" and "us" refer to more than two is WITHOUT question. In English, you only have two forms, singular and plural. In Hebrew, you have three forms: singular, dual, and plural. Dual is for two ONLY. In Hebrew, the dual form is used for things that come in pairs like eyes, ears, and hands. The word "Elohim" and the pronoun "us" are plural forms - definitely more than two - and must be referring to three or more (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).

I believe in heaven and hell and in the second coming which is still about to happen. No one knows exactly when , not even the angels in heaven, but God. I believe that the Second Coming would be the second literal return of Christ to earth as King in power and glory. In Acts 1:11 it says that "... this same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven." 1 Thessalonian 4:16-17 says, "For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever."

These things, I believe, are debatable issues. But I know what I believe in. I do experience God in my life. He lets me know and go through the lessons He wants me to learn and He lets me experience His abundant blessings too. I know I will be with Him when I leave this earth and I know my God is real.


21 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have done well!

There are many cults out there, the overriding description of which is "What do they do with Jesus?"

If Jesus is not one and the same with God, then He was crucified for no reason, 'cause the Pharasees knew that He claimed to be God, which they considered blasphemy.

Your perspective is correct!

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for the freedom of religion:-)

We dropped by to give you some hugs, but your "hugger" is broke! So I will just put my arms around you and give you a good squeeze:-)

God's Grace.

Anonymous said...

True, to reject the diety of Jesus you would have to reject the scripture. John 10:30, "I and my Father are one". Once the scripture is rejected there is no more room for debate.

Anonymous said...

There are other differences in the JHs. For one thing, they have rewritten scripture to reflect their views. just try to get them to read something from ANY other version. (By the way, their founder claimed he translated it from the Greek, but during a libel law suit could not recite the Greek alphabet.)

Their passion is strong, but it has the features of a cult, not the theology of our faith.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all that has been said here. And Joe is right, you've done well :o)

Anonymous said...

corry: my hugger's fixed already. you can start hugging me again. haha!

joe: i love reading your lessons on christianity because of this. i need to be reminded every now and then of the truth. it's like having my Bible study all over again.

KC: that's the verse i was trying to find yesterday. i remember the words but not the verse. thank you.

CS: really? that's interesting. i didn't know that. when we had our "victory weekend" in church, they are actually listed as one of the cults. i was shocked because i know people who are members of this.

shelley: i feel so sad because i have friends who are members of JW. i never really knew the difference of our teachings but i never expected it to be like this. they're so far out.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Pia!

I've thought of you often while I've been away from blogging these few days. I hope you're doing well. We hung out the outside door Christmas decorations this past week and I thought of you.

We can't add to the Word of God and expect it to be the same Truth. Once we add our own interpretations, it becomes another gospel.

The 'Godhead' is used in the bible, also meaning the Trinity. A 3 in one God. Jesus on earth was the fullness of the Godhead.

Colossians 2
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Anonymous said...

There is one God and He has one Word...period..you did good Pia! Stay on your toes, the enemy is lurking at every corner to trip us up, good for you to be bold enough to speak up! Your Father is proud of you...as is your Brother and the Spirit...all 3 in One.

Anonymous said...

Good work, Pia. And isn't it wonderful to have the Holy Spirit? Isn't it wonderful to have the grace of our Lord Jesus? Isn't it wonderful to be loved by Him? They have dead works and not even a hope. Or a Hope.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pia,

I noticed that you have left my friend Paula some very nice comments, so I thought I would stop by your blog site :)

Ironically, the first post I read today was your conversation with a JW - You see, I grew up as a JW - I can most definately let you know that this religion is a cult.....and I am so thankful to the Lord for setting my family free from the tangled web of deception that the JW's believe - actually -brainwash their followers into to believing...

I am ever grateful to my Aunt for praying for our family for years that we would find 'real truth' and that we would be set free from the lies we believed.

What 'curious servant' is absolutely correct - they have changed words in their bible to reflect their beliefs - claiming that the only difference between their bible and the King James version - is that their's is in modern day English - and most JW's truly believe that is the only difference - but IT is not!!

Curious Servant is also right about their passion - many of them are passionate about their believes - but so much so that they are blinded by their own religion - sad really.....

What your other blogger friends had to say, I agree with too - sounds like the Holy Spirit was leading you and helping you to stand wisely and with FAITH....

And I can tell you - that JW's do NOT have a real 'hope' - and are pretty self-reliant on their own 'works' to bring them 'salvation' - although, if you ask them....they don't believe in 'salvation' - they just think they are called to serve Jehovah - and if they are 'good' enough or 'do' enough their reward will be getting to live on a New Earth or Paradise - but there are not guarantees for them.....

Anyway, just wanted to stop by and let you know that I have enjoyed your site :)

Many blessings to you and your family and I pray that God watches over your mind and heart - and continues to reveal His abundant Love!

Anonymous said...

There is a prayer request on my blog. If you have a moment, it would mean a lot.

God bless

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! Thank you for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

GREAT post Pia

I loved reading your thoughts :)

Anonymous said...

Great post, Pia! BTW, I was wondering what country you live in?

Anonymous said...

Hi Pia,

Just wanted to let you know that I had to close down my Kingdom of the Son website because of family matters.

My new address is:
http://lightingmyway.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

sparow: yeah, i agree. the only Bible they are using is the KJV and another version (according to my friend). it seems to me that they are interpreting it totally different from the way we do.

pam: i still feel like i should have memorized more verses to better equip me in times like that. hehe...

OC: yeah, i don't think they have something to really hope for. poor souls.

kimber: thank you for visiting my site. we were told in church that JW is a cult. but i haven't really known why. now i'm beginning to understand. thank you for sharing your insights. blessings to you too.

CS: be there after typing this.

daisy, lorna: thank you. God bless you.

paula: i'm from the philippines.

kate: i was wondering what happened to your site. i hope everything's ok with you.

Anonymous said...

The doctors say that only a miracle can save Bob. He is in critical but stable condition. I am going tonight to a prayer vigil beside his bed at the hospital.

If you read this before 4:00 a.m. pray that I stay awake. If you read this after. please pick up the prayer that I have left off.

Thank you for your prayers. More info on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Sister,

You know the truth. Great post. I am glad that you have been placed in the life of that friend. I will pray that God will open your friend's eyes to the truth.

Hope this finds you doing well. Hugs and love.

Your Sis In Christ,

Anonymous said...

Pia, any news on how your Christmas hopes are coming along/panning out? God be with you and sustain you, my dear friend.

Anonymous said...

CS: still praying...

paula: hugs to you too, sis. glad to see you back.

OC: i'll try to write something about that in a while.

Anonymous said...

My Inaugural Address at the Great White Throne Judgment of the Dead, after I have raptured out billions!

At: http://www.angelfire.com/crazy/spaceman/


eschatology,End Times,second coming,rapture,secret rapture,Second Resurrection,Great White Throne Judgment of the Dead,
End of days,Day of the Lord,Endtime,Judgment Day

Blog Widget by LinkWithin