What Makes A Mother

Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Thank you to everyone who took the time to share a hug or two. Please feel free to give some more hugs whenever you feel like sharing more. It'll be very much appreciated.

I got an email from my friend who just had her D & C. Yeah, I know that's so sad. It brought back painful memories, but I don't mind sharing my story to anyone who went through the same dilemma my hubby and I did. If it could lighten their load a bit, I'm glad to have helped. She emailed me this poem and I'd like to share it to all of you.

I thought of you and closed my eyes
And prayed to God today
I asked "What makes a Mother?"
And I know I heard Him say.

"A Mother has a baby"
This we know is true.
"But, God, can you be a Mother,
When your baby's not with you?"

"Yes, you can," He replied
With confidence in His voice.
"I give many women babies,
When they leave is not their choice.

Some I send for a lifetime,
And others for the day.
And some I send to feel your womb,
But there's no need to stay."

"I just don't understand this, God,
I want my baby to be here."
He took a deep breath and cleared His throat,
And then I saw the tear.

"I wish I could show you,
What your child is doing today.
If you could see your child's smile,
With all the other children and say...

'We go to Earth to learn our lessons,
Of love and life and fear.
My Mommy loved me oh so much,
I got to come straight here.

I feel so lucky to have a Mom,
Who had so much love for me.
I learned my lessons very quickly,
My Mommy set me free.

I miss my Mommy oh so much,
But I visit her every day.
When she goes to sleep,
On her pillow's where I lay.

I stroke her hair and kiss her cheek,
And whisper in her ear.
'Mommy don't be sad today,
I'm your baby and I'm here.'

"So you see my dear sweet ones,
your children are okay.
Your babies are born here in My home,
And this is where they'll stay.

They'll wait for you with Me,
Until your lesson's through.
And on the day that you come home
they'll be at the gates for you.

So now you see what makes a Mother,
It's the feeling in your heart
it's the love you had so much of
Right from the very start.

Though some on earth may not realize,
you are a Mother until their time is done.
They'll be up here with Me one day
and know that you are the best one!"

(by Jennifer Wasik)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pia neither Corry or I know what to say but we both wanted you to know our prayers will remain for you all.

Anonymous said...

This poem is so beautiful. I have good friends who have suffered this kind of loss and I always think about how hard it is for them, but what a gift they have given the Lord and their child, who are enjoying each other in perfection and not suffering in this world. I'm sorry for your pain and your friend's.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful poem! So true - it is wonderful to have people to meet in heaven when we get there that we didn't get to know on earth. I remember after my miscarriage, before I had had any children, how hard "Mother's Day" was. I also remember how God comforted me one night when I lay in bed one night so sad about the loss and the name "Krystalyn" came to me like a kiss on the cheek. She is the name of my first born. When she found out that I was pregnant before, she has never forgotten it and knows she has a brother she will meet in heaven. (I never did ask if the child was a boy or girl - they did do chromosome studies - I wished I had found out if it was a girl or boy - but my daughter always says it was a boy, and we named him Brady.)

Anonymous said...

That poem is beautiful, It is such a beautiful thought. Thank you for sharing it. god bless you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin