God Rests When You Work

Monday, November 1, 2010
I woke up quite early than my usual this morning.  I hurriedly did what I had put off for days that should've already been done days ago.  A friend called me this morning asking if I wanted to watch a movie with her later in the afternoon.  Of course I'd love to, but I was a bit hesitant because of how much I've already spent the past few days. Quite alarming.  And I was in doubt if I could finish the work I kept putting off today.  I know, my time management lately sucks. 

Anyhoo, I'd like to share something with you again that was written by a fellow stander, Ben from Texas. I hope this will somehow speak to you and encourage you even if you're not going through marriage problems.

*************************

Marital discord. It is so common these days. As we face these problems in our family, we seek ways to try to fix the problem. We want the associated pain to go away. It is just human nature. A light bulb in our residence burns out and we exchange it for one that is functional. Our car breaks down and we take it to the mechanic. The yard needs mowing so we just go and do it. Just think of all the things that you fixed today and you get the picture. But when it comes to fixing the things dealing with relationships, spiritual things, etc., we usually fail. We try to fix things in the "flesh" and forget that we have One who walks alongside us, each and every day, to whom we can look and depend on...Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Some of you may already be acquainted with the various 12-step programs that deal with drugs and alcohol. What I remember about such programs was a cliche..."Let go and let God." I know that early in my stand for my marriage, a wise friend who had walked this path before me, told me that I needed to get out of God's way so that He could do the work necessary in my wife's life. As so many of us do, I just wanted a certain person to talk to my wife, to straighten her out. I feel that many of you understand this. God is content to stand aside while you and I are frantically trying to "fix" our marriages using the world's way. We humans are just that stubborn. We are reluctant to admit that a problem is beyond our skills to fix. So God, in His infinite wisdom, is willing to let us struggle and fail until such time when we admit to Him that we are powerless without Him and we finally turn to Him.

Last week, a visiting pastor was sharing his perspective of our relationship with God when we have problems. How often have you said..."when all else fails, let's pray about it?" Wrong!!! Going to God in prayer should be our first line of attack when we have a problem. Prayer should be used whether it is a little problem or a huge problem; go to God first!
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13
God knows our deepest thoughts and desires. When you seek His face (counsel, help, etc.), He will always be there for you. Sometimes God may answer "no" or "not now," but be assured that God has your best interests on His heart and mind as He deals with your problem. No problem is too big for God...
"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26b
Back to the title of this devotional..."God rests when you work." You probably figured out the second part of this statement..."God works when you rest." When we are in God's way, trying to fix the problem in the flesh (the world's way), God steps aside to allow us time to realize that we are powerless without Him. God sees the big picture. He can fix our messes if we will just get out of His way. We need to rest. It sounds so simple, but it is "oh so hard." We need to eat some "humble pie" as we look to God for His solution.

So remember this simple thing: God loves to solve our messes but we need to step aside as He performs one of those modern day miracles of marriage reconciliation and restoration. As you pray for your marriage, your part in this process is to align yourself with God and leave your spouse totally to God. When the timing is right, God will bring you and your spouse together again, showing you what each of you need to do under God's guidance to bring about reconciliation and restoration. It will take time to clean up the mess. But know this, leaning on God, He will never fail you if you put Him first; first in your marriage and first in your relationship with your spouse. Our God is a jealous God, not wanting to share "top billing" in your marriage with anyone or anything. He wants to be "number 1" in your life and your marriage. Never forget that. Put Him first and your life will always be on the right track.
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28
God rests when you work. God works when you rest.




3 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing, love you.

MinnieRunner said...

I kept smiling while and after reading your post. God really is our refuge. Well all should seek Him first before anything else.

Mommy Liz said...

We should seek Him first before anything else, but human nature is, will try everything first, then last source would be to call upon Him. In marriage, God needs to be the center of it, otherwise, it will collapse and the love will fade. If God says NO to our prayers, it means, there's a better one coming, we will just have to wait.

You shared a wonderful post. God Bless!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin