A Holistic Approach

Friday, November 9, 2012
I went to see a holistic doctor last Tuesday who was referred to me by my friend, Shirleen. I didn't know what to expect  during my first appointment with Dr. Millora. My objective was just to know more about lupus and optimize my wellness. I was quite pleased with the result of this first meeting.

A thorough investigation of my health was done. A comprehensive interview regarding my health concerns and health history lasted for about an hour or so. A routine check of my vital signs was also done. The doctor checked my medical records and asked about the meds I'm currently taking. Then, in the end, she gave me a customized treatment plan. These are mostly vitamins and antioxidants to supplement what's lacking in my body. By the way, I also checked with my rheumatologist about the supplements my holistic doctor recommended and she approved of them.

What I like about this meeting was that I discovered that holistic doctors do not just eliminate symptoms, but the underlying causes of illness. I was a bit surprised when she asked me if I have silver amalgam fillings. I thought "what does that have to do with lupus?" She then continued that those could be a probable cause of my autoimmune disease. Hmmm... Interesting.
Autoimmune disorders
Dental amalgam has been found to be a frequent contributor to oral lichenoid lesions and is possibly a variable associated with an increased risk of other autoimmune conditions such as multiple sclerosis, lupus, thyroiditis and eczema. (Wikipedia)
Whether this is a fact or a hoax, I've already decided to have all my dental fillings replaced after my treatment.

Anyhoo, yesterday I went to see an opthalmologist, as advised by my rheumy, for my blurry vision which I've been complaining about for almost two weeks now.  She said I have to have my eyes checked for glaucoma or cataract, could be side effects of steroids.

In my mind I was already screaming. "WWWHHHHAAAATTTT??? AAAAAARRRRGGGG!!!!!!!!"

Okay, so the doctor checked my eyes. He said that no nerve has been damaged so far.  My blurry vision is temporary and once I get off the steroids, my vision would eventually normalize, but I have to change my glasses because the grade increased.

Whew! That's a relief.  He ordered a series of other tests to be done just to make sure my eyes were okay.

Sure. No problem.

When I got home after a day of check up in the hospital, I couldn't help sighing.  I've spent so much for medicines on top of the bills that I have to pay.

Sigh...
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10
Dear Lord, I need your help. I know You know what I need now.  You promised You will provide and I'm depending on Your promise. Help me, Lord. Thank you for hearing my prayer and for your provision. In Jesus' name, amen!




7 comments:

Denise said...

Much love, and many prayers sweet sis.

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

Pia Keep praying and God will do the rest.

xoxo
MrsMartinez

Amrita said...

Dea r Pia, herbal medicine helped me a lot in my arthritis. Go for it.Praying for your healing.

momto8 said...

I have heard that before about fillings...makes sense to me. I hope you can get your meds just right. I have seen that happen many times! hang in there...prayers are powerful!

Charlyn said...

Hey Pia! So good to hear from you! I've always believed in the holistic/natural approach. Hoping some day I can do it myself. I look forward to reconnecting with you!

cafémobility said...

dental amalgam? that is very surprising, i thought cases like that are only seen in the House series. anyway, have yourself a speedy recovery.

are you still at SL? do you know an MFA there named Noreen Bitagcol?

Pia said...

denise: thank you for your prayers. (((hugs)))

mich: praying unceasingly...

amrita: anything natural is very appealing to me now.

annamarie: amen! prayers are really powerful.

charlyn: me too. =)

john: yup. still with SL. sorry, i don't know her. would you know which branch she's with?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin