The Will Of God vs. The Will Of Man

Monday, February 28, 2011

As you read along the devotional below written by a fellow stander, Teri, from Minnesota; I'm sure you'll find a very familiar line.  And maybe you've been told that too not just once, but countless times already. May you be encouraged and may your faith grow stronger as you stand firm on God's promises for your marriage.

*************************
Soon after my husband left me, God turned my heart to Him. Through reading His Word, my hope and faith increased. God began to show me that all things are possible through Him. I started praying for my husband and my marriage. Before I ever heard the terms "stand in the gap" and "stand for your marriage", God was calling me to do just that.

I truly believed that God was able to heal my marriage. However, the enemy delighted in placing stumbling blocks in my way. They came through things I read or through well-intentioned comments from friends and family. The one most frequently used was, "Your husband has his own free will and even if you pray, he ultimately will choose what he wants to do."  How cunning the enemy is! Satan tells us that it doesn't matter what you pray because man can choose what he wants. But God tells us to have faith and believe and to pray without ceasing.

What freedom I felt when I finally realized that yes, man does have his free will, but God will stop at nothing to bring it into alignment with His will.
"We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." Proverbs 16:9
"You can make many plans, but the Lord's purpose will prevail." Proverbs 19:21
"How can we understand the road we travel? It is the Lord who directs our steps." Proverbs 20:24
"I know, Lord, that a person's life is not his own. No one is able to plan his own course." Jeremiah 10:23
Praise God for His faithfulness. He showed me in His Word that He has many ways of changing the hearts of men and redirecting their paths. Yes, man can choose, but God is sovereign in His perfect plan. If He calls us to pray, then believe that He is the God of the impossible and can change the heart of even the hardest of men.

Throughout Scripture you will find many examples of God turning the hearts of kings and men to Him to fulfill His purpose. How is this done? Through the work of the Holy Spirit.
"And I will give them singleness of heart and put a new spirit within them. I will take away their hearts of stone and give them tender hearts instead, so they will obey my laws and regulations. Then they will truly be my people, and I will be their God." Ezekiel 11:19
"I will give them hearts that will recognize me as the Lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me wholeheartedly."  Jeremiah 24:7
"And I will give you a new heart with new and right desires, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony heart of sin and give you a new obedient heart. And I will put my Spirit in you so you will obey my laws and do whatever I command."  Ezekiel 36:26-27
Whenever the enemy comes against you with lies and tries to convince you that your prayers don't matter because your spouse is choosing to go his/her own way, remember the Word of God. God has called us to stand and pray for our spouse. He is faithful and His Word is true. He is the one who will change their hearts and place His Spirit in them. He will call them to obedience and repentance. Continue to stand and pray because even though man might make his plans, God directs his steps. With God all things are possible.


1 comments:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Great post, and I think it applies to everyone whether they are married or not. Satan stops at nothing to keep us all from the Lord.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin