The Fern & The Bamboo

Thursday, November 23, 2006
Do you feel tired of living and you simply want to give up? Is the urge too strong for you to quit? Here's a short story that I got in my mail this morning. I hope this will give you encouragement to hang in there.


One day I decided to quit... I quit my job, my relationship, my spirituality... I wanted to quit my life. I went to the woods to have one last talk with God. "God", I said. "Can you give me one good reason not to quit?"

His answer surprised me. "Look around", He said. "Do you see the fern and the bamboo?"

"Yes", I replied.

"When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds, I took very good care of them. I gave them light. I gave them water. The fern quickly grew from the earth. Its brilliant green covered the floor. Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.

In the second year the fern grew more vibrant and plentiful. And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.

In year three there was still nothing from the bamboo seed. But I would not quit. The same in year four.

Then in the fifth year, a tiny sprout emerged from the earth. Compared to the fern, it was seemingly small and insignificant. But just six months later, the bamboo rose to over 100 feet tall. It had spent the five years growing roots. Those roots made it strong and gave it what it needed to survive."

"I would not give any of my creations a challenge it could not handle."

"Did you know, my child, that all this time you have been struggling, you have actually been growing roots? I would not quit on the bamboo. I will never quit on you."

"Don't compare yourself to others." He said. "The bamboo had a different purpose than the fern. Yet they both make the forest beautiful."

"Your time will come", God said to me. "You will rise high."

"How high should I rise?" I asked.

"How high will the bamboo rise?" He asked in return.

"As high as it can?" I questioned.

"Yes." He said, "Give me glory by rising as high as you can."

I left the forest, realizing that God will never give up on me. And He will never give up on you. Never regret a day in your life.


Good days give you happiness; bad days give you experiences; both are essential to life.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that. Beautiful story and great lessons to learn from it.

God's wisdom indeed passes all human understanding.

Thanks for sharing that Pia.

Anonymous said...

there has been no day worse than this... i hope you have a happy thanksgiving pia. <3

Anonymous said...

This was encouraging today.

We found out dad has cancer.

It hurts.

Anonymous said...

hi pia,

this reminds me of me lately. whatever can go wrong, does, yet i try to stay focused on God, knowing that the bad days do give me experiences, and they are as essential to life as the good days. this story has given me a whole new perspective. thanks for sharing this.

nunzia, i hope today has been a better day for you.

shenna, much prayer, peace, and comfort for you and your family.

sylvia

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by Pia. God bless.

Anonymous said...

That was precious, Pia. I needed that today. Thank you for offering such sweet encouragement. I hope the weary will stop here and get refreshment. Blessings to you my dear friend.

Vicki

Anonymous said...

You know Pia, I needed to read that today! Thanks for sharing!!

So glad you are back!!!

(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Today was difficult Pia. Had a patient (past due 2 weeks in her baby's delivery) who refused to go over to the main hospital to deliver. This is a long story but she is an abused person who is currently jobless and homeless, hence the trauma of giving birth is adding to her stress level.

With God's good mercy, she suddenly turned up at the hospital's lobby today and stayed there for approx. 4 hours refusing to go further than this waiting area. By some miracle, we were informed via telephone of her presence at the hospital and we immediately drove over to get her admitted into ward. It was a difficult task, but God's angels were all around us helping out. As of now, she has secured a bed in the delivery room and has been sedated to keep her calm during tonite. Early tomorrow, a team of doctors will deliver her baby via c-section.

Your post about the bamboo and the fern somehow made sense to me just now and a feeling of peace has settled on me finally. I know that things will go okay tomorrow for our patient and everything will work out just as it was meant to be.

Thanks for caring and sharing.

Enid~

Anonymous said...

That was uplifting and bolstered my spirit. Thank you Pia. Thank you for your continued prayers and encouragement. I will continue to pray for your health as well. May God bless you with a baby this year and provide you with a miraculous healing. I'm praying He will provide us with healing and more time with my Dad.

Anonymous said...

Wow!
I love your new blogskin very much =)

Thank you so much for your friendship, lieve zus!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why this didn't take the first time. but I just wanted to say that this has reinforced a decision I had to make this week in regards to whether or not I quit my job. Thank you for the inspiration.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin