Dart Test

Friday, April 21, 2006
I got this email from a very dear friend of mine and I thought I'd share it to y'all. I felt a slight pinch in the heart after reading this. I wonder if you will too. Here goes...
A young lady named Sally relates an experience she had in a seminary class given by her teacher, Dr. Smith. She says that Dr. Smith was known for his elaborate object lessons.

One particular day, Sally walked into the seminary and knew they were in for a fun day. On the wall was a big target and on a nearby table were many darts. Dr. Smith told the students to draw a picture of someone that they disliked or someone who had made them angry, and he would allow them to throw darts at the person's picture.

Sally's friend drew a picture of who had stolen her boyfriend. Another friend drew a picture of his little brother. Sally drew a picture of a former friend, putting a great deal of detail into her drawing, even drawing pimples on the face. Sally was pleased with the overall effect she had achieved.

The class lined up and began throwing darts. Some of the students threw their darts with such force that their targets were ripping apart. Sally looked forward to her turn and was filled with disappointment when Dr. Smith, because of time limits, asked the students to return to their seats. As Sally sat thinking about how angry she was because she didn't have a chance to throw any darts at her target, Dr. Smith began removing the target from the wall.

Underneath the target was a picture of Jesus. A hush fell over the room as each student viewed the mangled picture of Jesus; holes and jagged marks covered His face and His eyes were pierced. Dr. Smith said only these words...
"In as much as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto Me." Matthew 25:40
No other words were necessary; the tears filled eyes of the students focused only on the picture of Christ.
This is an easy test; you either score 100 or zero. It's your choice.


26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had this email before. It really makes you think doesn't it? Thanks for sharing it...it's a good reminder.

Anonymous said...

May our Heavenly Father answer all your heart's desires according to His will.
God bless you, dear zus :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing Love - that is what Jesus is! "AMAZING and PERFECT LOVE"!!

Great story! Hope all is well with you :) Glad you had a great Easter!

Anonymous said...

I love that story. So profoundly penetrating.

Anonymous said...

Yep, sinners, all of us.

Anonymous said...

I had not seen or heard this story.

Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Inspiring story. Thanks Pia.

Anonymous said...

i had gotten that email before too and it really hits home. It is so easy to get upset with people and to want to be nasty to them or to get even and then you think of that verse and it just hits you that we are supposed to have compassion for these people and love people no matter what b/c Jesus did it for us. Great post. :) God bless.
HUGS,
Meesh

Anonymous said...

PIA,

Thank you for sharing, this reminds me of one of my favourite verse,"...I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,"

"JESUS IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?" Hebrews 13:5-6 [NASB]

Anonymous said...

Wow, just wow. Treating and loving others the way Christ loves has been on my mind alot lately. This post is more reinforcement of how I should be treating others. Hope you're doing well and having a great week!!!!!

Love ya lots!

Anonymous said...

Man, so true...so true.

Anonymous said...

I read this Dart Test story from a friend who sent it to me couple of weeks back.

As I read it, I was really gripped with what our acts of unforgiveness means to Jesus- who by His cross has forgiven us of our sins and punishment we deserved.

Anonymous said...

May the peace of God be with you, lieve zus :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, powerful. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

That's quite a poignant object lesson. It certainly gets the point across. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Great point. I'm forwarding it to my pastor.

Anonymous said...

a good reminder. one that would be good to do in reality in church instead of a sermon methinks.

be blessed Pia

Anonymous said...

Hi Pia - I left you a comment at my site - thank you so much for always coming by - I love it! Your post is a good reminder as I read it again, I have someone in mind that I need to love and pray for, who is difficult to love and pray for....

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis,

Just wanted to stop by for a visit. Thinking of you.

Love in Christ,

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing....excellent post.
God Bless
Donna

Anonymous said...

wow thats beautiful.bdn

Anonymous said...

wow, great post. Sure makes one stop and think.
Blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

hope all is well with you.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are doing all right, Pia. Been thinking of you. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Pia
You and Jec are in my prayers and thoughts.
Please be strong.
Please take care.
I love you very much, lieve zus.

Anonymous said...

This is a great story. The lesson it brings home is convicting.

You have a really nice blog and I wanted to let you know that it was recommended to me by M.C. Pearson in a survey I conducted this past weekend on my own blog.

Keep up the good work and God bless.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin