Lesson Learned

Sunday, July 25, 2010

My friends and I attended our church's world conference (EN2010) held in Manila last Thursday.  It was a three-day event.  We had wonderful speakers, Darlene Zschech was one of them. My prayer was that I hear from our Lord during these three days.


A few days back, a girl from our church called me and said she was interested to get Sun Life insurance for herself and her brother.  I was excited of course.  I prepared the proposals and other stuff I needed for my presentation.  We agreed to meet three hours before the conference started last Thursday.  She didn't show up.  She gave all kinds of excuses which I believed because I convinced myself that she wouldn't be making up stories, she's a Christian.

We spoke again on the phone and we agreed to meet the following day during break time.  She said she had the money with her already, roughly around $1,500.  I waited. She did show up, but was in a hurry to accompany her friend somewhere. I asked her if she brought with her the requirements needed for her application.  She said that she asked another friend to hold her bag with cash for her.  With that statement and all the excuses she gave me the day before for not showing up had all my red flags waving.  If I had that money with me, I wouldn't let it out of my sight.  Would you?

Anyway, the same happened on the third day.  

This morning, she called again. But I didn't answer the phone anymore.  I am done hearing her ridiculous excuses.  I gave her the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe she was just really caught up with something important that she couldn't say no to. But then again, when I thought about everything she said, they didn't really add up.

I was disappointed.  I was upset. I was led to believe lies. 

Now going back to what I requested God to do for me during our three-day conference, He did speak.

He reminded me that when I put my hope and trust in people, I will be brokenhearted. But when I put my hope and trust in God, I will not be disappointed.  

Lesson learned.



8 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

It's a hard lesson to learn, isn't it Pia? I too have been disappointed in people. But God never fails us. He is trustworthy and faithful.

How wonderful that you got to go to the conference and see Darlene Zschech. I heard her live one time many years ago at a conference in Arizona.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Yes, putting our trust in people will leave us disappointed for people are not always trustworthy. We can put all our trust in God. If the girl calls up again, you can still give her one more try. I can't see any reason why she will just pull your legs being a Christian herself. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Amrita said...

This has happened to me too. Frail human nature and I have let others down, I don 't doubt it.

May God fill you r heart with grace and peace Pia.

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

Oh Pia that's a sad tales! Giving her a benefit of the doubt is a Christian way of dealing with the situation but if it's done more than twice that would be too much. Move on and I am sure you will find/meet others who are really interested.
xoxo
MrsM

Denise said...

So glad you were able to go to the conference sweetie. Sorry about the hard lesson you had to experience. Loving you, and praying for you.

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Sounds like a great conference. You are so right. As long as our hope is in God, we will never be disappointed. Thank you for that great reminder my friend!

Slamdunk said...

I need to be reminded of that lesson often.

God Bless you and thanks for sharing Pia.

A Peculiar Person said...

I would like to invite you to visit my blog. I would love to get your comments on some of my recent posts.

http://alonganarrowway.blogspot.com

God Bless!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin