The Purpose

Friday, August 8, 2008
Valerie prayed to God. "Lord, give me direction. Reveal to me your will for my life and my marriage."

Six months ago, Valerie was advised to go see Attorney Collins Nader for legal advice regarding her marriage. She was kind of hesitant, but still took the advice and went on a Sunday morning service to meet Nader. Nader was a Sunday worshiper. Everyone knows when and where to find this husky looking man who's on fire for God. After the morning service Valerie looked and asked for Nader, but he wasn't around. "Hmm... I guess it wasn't meant to be," Valerie thought.

Last Thursday, during the prayer meeting at her local church, Pastor Joseph Fanning asked the congregation if anyone needed to make an important decision and wanted to seek God for guidance to raise their hands. Valerie, with her head bowed down, raised her right hand in desperation to seek God's will for her marriage. She was torn between holding on and letting go of her precious, God ordained marriage. Pastor Fanning instructed everyone to find a prayer partner. Valerie looked on her right, then on her left, then at her back. Everyone found a partner except her. She thought to herself, "Well, it doesn't matter if I don't have a partner. I can pray on my own."

A tall, middle aged man with a shaven head approached Valerie and asked her what she wanted to pray about. She was somehow relieved to have finally found a prayer partner. While showing the man a glimpse of her life and what was weighing her down, tears were running down her cheeks. The man prayed for her with such authority she can almost feel the power of the Holy Spirit piercing through her confused heart. After praying the man extended his hand to Valerie, "By the way, my name is Collins."

Valerie was flabbergasted. Her heart raced a hundred and fifty miles per hour. Words couldn't find their way out of her lips.

"Attorney C-Collins?" Valerie's voice was shaking.

"Yes." Nader shook Valerie's hand.

"I-I was suppose to see you six months ago."

"Really?"

"Yes. B-But... Uh, can we talk after the prayer meeting? I mean if that's okay."

"Sure. There's a coffee shop downstairs, we can go there and talk."

"Great. Thanks."

At the coffee shop, Valerie and Nader confabulated. Valerie opened up her heart to the man of God whom she believed was sent by God Himself for a specific instruction she needed to hear.

"Attorney Collins, I don't know the purpose of this God appointed meeting. Honestly, I'm confused. Am I suppose to hear some legal advice from you? "

"I don't know either, but let me tell you my story..." Nader got the floor as Valerie was all ears.

"I wasn't always like this. My wife prayed for me and didn't give up on me while I was having an affair with my wife's best friend which lasted for twelve long years. My wife prayed for me for 14 years. Many times I wanted to serve the Lord, but couldn't turn my back on my girlfriend. I would say sorry to my wife and then go back to my girlfriend again and again. I could just imagine the pain I've caused my wife all those years." Valerie was listening diligently but at the back of her mind she was still wondering about the purpose. "Lord, what is your purpose for this meeting? Please help me understand."

Nader continued, "A pastor once told me that God will use me mightily to help couples with hurting marriages. God will use my testimony to bring light to couples who are contemplating on ending their marriage." Suddenly, Valerie's eyes were widened. Everything was making sense to her now. All of a sudden she can now see through the purpose of that fateful chance meeting.

"Attorney Nader," Valerie interrupted. "I think I know why we've met."

With a wide grin on her face, Valerie was ecstatic to have gotten her answer. Her heart was leaping for joy.

Nader gave Valerie a big smile. He laid hands on Valerie and prayed for her and her husband.


Valerie sought God and God met her where she was, right at her point of need.
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" Matthew 7:7-11


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Valerie..hmm.. what a nice name! It's good that she got her answer..I really hope this time she understand and hold on to that word. Wait patiently and pray deligently.^^

Anonymous said...

Hi sis Pia,
This is a fantastic story of the power of persistence in prayer. I remember the parable of the persistent widow and the dishonest judge in the Book of Luke. Though the judge was dishonest and uncaring of others, yet because of the persistent pleading of the widow with him day and night, the judge finally relented and granted her justice. We can never underestimate the power of prayer. Even if nothing happens at first, persistent prayer will pierce the very portals of heaven and result in the blessings sought for by the supplicant. The story was so heartwarming and wonderful. You were inspired by the Holy Spirit to write that and it applies to your situation. Someday, you will see your reconciliation with your husband and the reunion of your family. Until then be persistent and hopeful in your prayers. I am always praying for you my sister. Thanks for the exquisite and lovely short story. God bless you always my dear friend with all the wonderful things that God has prepared for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. Only by the grace of God can we do what He calls us to do!

Is this a true/real story?

Anonymous said...

WOW Pia..what a story! God is faithful to persistant prayer as
we obey. Holding on to HOPE!

Stop by and visit with me soon... there will be something special waiting for you. It's in Tuesday the 12th of August post!

Still Sharing the Love & Friendship

Anonymous said...

this is a very inspiring story and it again proves the power of prayer. thanks for sharing this...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin