Goodbye, Jeff...

Monday, December 11, 2006
I didn't get much sleep last night because of a phone call I got from my hubby's friend, Bob. My skin went cold after hearing what Bob had to say. It just dawned on me how short life really is, that no matter what social standing you have in life, death is no respecter of wealth.

I received a text message from Bob's wife asking for my landline number and she said it's urgent. I wondered what that could be all about. My phone rang. Cherrie's voice didn't sound as bubbly as it used to. Before I could even ask what was wrong, Bob came on the line and said Jeff died. Jeff is a close friend of my husband. I couldn't believe what I just heard and asked if that was some kind of a joke. Of course, it wasn't, he wouldn't pull a sick joke like that on me. Jeff and his four year old daughter were burned when their house went on fire last December 8. His wife, Kit, a flight attendant, wasn't with them when it happened. Jec cried when I told him about it last night. He was astonished just like the rest of us. No one expected or wanted anything like this to happen to anyone, but it did.

I couldn't fathom the grief Kit must be feeling now. I don't even know what to say to her when I see her later. Please pray for Kit.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with her!

God's Grace.

Anonymous said...

what terrible news! I pray for God's comforting arms to surround Kit during this time.

Anonymous said...

May God have mercy on all involved. My prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

sorry for your loss :(

Anonymous said...

So sorry Pia, I just sent a prayer up for you and your husband. When my brother-in-law died last year, I couldn't believe the words that came out of my mouth when I called my mom to tell her. And, like you, she said was silent for a second before saying, are you joking? It's just too hard for our minds to process. It's just a weird feeling that doesn't go away for a long time. I still can't believe it happened.

Anonymous said...

thank you for your prayers. thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry to hear that Pia. Life really is such a vapor :( I will keep your your and your friend's family in prayer...

Anonymous said...

Our lives are in God's loving hands.
Please take care, lieve zus.

(((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

hi pia, i tried to leave comments last week, but the blog wouldn't let me. just want you to know how sorry i am about your friend. the families are in my prayers.

peace,
sylvia

Blog Widget by LinkWithin